Ever been in a masungit mood right before your monthly period? Ever felt bloated, finding your favorite jeans are a little snugger, right before Aunt Flo paid you a visit? Craved a lot of sweet or salty treats a few days before you “rode the crimson wave”? Have you suffered from lower belly cramps about a day before “shark week”?
Avoid showing a sad face like this:
If you answered yes to at least one of my questions, then you could have been experiencing pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS). PMS is pretty common to Filipinas, though, so don’t worry.
As someone who has had to deal with PMS for more than half of my life, I can say that we Filipinas just need to properly manage this monthly experience. Here are some of my top 5 tips for better monthly periods:
- Exercise more often. Learn to relax and be physically active! I’ve got this theory that we experience cramps when there’s something that prevents an easy flow down there. The cause could be stress, which leads to tensed and tight muscles. When I started being more active, and I mean walking, stretching and lifting weights about four times a week, Aunt Flo just arrived without any warning. No cramping at all! If walking and lifting weights are not your thing, try swimming, yoga and cycling.
- Drink more water, avoid salty foods. Our bodies tend to retain more water when dehydrated, so to avoid bloating during your periods, I recommend making sure you’re well-hydrated and cutting down on water-retaining salt.
- Up your fiber intake. Eat more fruits and veggies to help ease your PMS. The natural vitamins and minerals you get from these can help ease the pain you feel and, in turn, the sudden outbursts that scare your boyfriend/girlfriend/family. The extra fiber also helps you prevent constipation or watery diarrhea, which could happen on your period.
- Take more iron. You need the extra iron to prevent anemia and improve brain function, helping you feel happier and more active on your period.
- Have a stash of goodies. Lift your cranky spirit up and avoid stressing out when you’re on your period by having a stash of goodies at the ready. Goodies can be as random as treats you haven’t tried yet and new products you’ve never heard of. Anything that catches your fancy can distract you from the bloated belly and the cramping.
Speaking of goodies, my recent stash from the Happy Days Club is awesome! Check out the quick #unboxing video I made:
I got Softex sanitary pads and pantiliners, Snickers, HI-CHEWS from Japan, Kokoo instant hot chocolate from Malaysia, Bobbie nail polish in Bluenciaga, Twinings Four Red Fruits tea and PH Care. Everything I need to feel good on the worst week of the month.
The April box features goodies I’ve already tried–PH Care, which is pretty awesome and affordable; the Kokoo drink, which is nutty and addicting; and the HI-CHEWS candies which are sweet, fruity and chewy.
What I’m especially excited to try are the Softex pads as I have never tried one yet! I might also publish a video about the absorbency soon (just like the diaper ads). The April box got me some stuff from the Softex Hello Kitty 2 in 1 pack (pictured above), which is available online for Php 190. It contains Softex Comfort Slim sanitary pads for day and night use–12 (23cm long) pieces for regular flow and 8 (29cm long) for heavy. As you can see in the video, the pads are actually thin.
Want to get your own Happy Days Box?
Pick the one that’s right for you and your budget, at a special discount through Lifestyle Manila: